Following the release of the World Report on Ageing and Health, the World Health Assembly adopted in May 2016 a strategy establishing a framework for action with two goals:
- Five years of evidence-based action to maximize functional ability that reaches every person; and
- by 2020, establish evidence and partnerships necessary to support a Decade of Healthy Ageing from 2020 to 2030.
Five strategic objectives have been agreed to support the goals and their implementation:
- Commitment to action on Healthy Ageing in every country;
- Developing age-friendly environments;
- Aligning health systems to the needs of older populations;
- Developing sustainable and equitable systems for providing long-term care (home, communities, institutions); and
- Improving measurement, monitoring and research on Healthy Ageing.
For more information, please refer to: http://www.who.int/ageing/global-strategy/en/